Vikidia currently has 2,382 articles. Improve it!
Join Vikidia: create your account now and improve it!
World War I
World War I (known as The Great War before World War II) was a war that lasted from 1914 to 1918. It mainly took place in Europe. Before it ended, 135 countries had been involved in World War I, and more than 15 million people died.
Causes[edit | edit source]
World War I was caused when Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was murdered by a student called Gavrilo Princip in Serbia. Austria-Hungary blamed Serbia for this event and presented an ultimatium (a list of things they should do as punishment), they were very strict with it. They could not agree to these 10 things so it developed into a war.  They then declare war, and Russia tries to protect them, this resulted in most of Europe becoming involved.
Recruitment and Conscription[edit | edit source]
Conscription, also known as "the draft", is when a government forces people to join the armed forces. So, because not enough people signed up, conscription was introduced to many countries. This meant you could be asked to join the army or another military branch at any time. Once you were asked, it was hard to get out. It was introduced in 1916 in the United Kingdom and in 1917 in the United States.
Countries involved[edit | edit source]
Allies[edit | edit source]
The Central Powers[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
1914[edit | edit source]
- June 28 – Archduke Franz Ferdinand was killed by Gavrilo Princip in Serbia.
- July 23 – Austria-Hungary gives an ultimatum to Serbia.
- July 28 – Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia, Russia sends the army to fight.
- July 31 – Germany warns Russia.
- August 1 – Germany declares war on Russia.
- August 3 – Germany declares war on France
- August 4 – Germany invades Belgium, the United Kingdom declares war.
Sources[edit | edit source]
|History Portal — All articles about history.|