Vikidia currently has 3,142 articles. Improve it!
Join Vikidia: create your account now and improve it!
Vikidia Talk:Import of article from SEWP and Wikijunior
Previous talks[edit source]
The function: Special:Import was set up (by Plyd) so you can choose to import an article from Simple English Wikipedia and Wikijunior (en en.wikipedia.org and fr.vikidia.org as well). It is made to comply with the license terms (the authors can then be found in the "history", however marked as user@externalwiki, see here.
I think that we should use it to grow this wiki with some part of the work already done on SEWP. It is an opportunity to grow this wiki faster, or to save time in its growth and time to get some readers (and new editors).
However, the quality and suitability of articles of SEWP and Wikijunior are uneven, which means that we surely should do that with care, so we can watch and discuss what it brings to this wiki, and built a policy on it if needed.
I guess the best way to discern if and which articles are suitable to be imported is to practice, and import some of them. It will make us able to talk about the quality and suitability of the articles we can find, and other issues.
I think we may choose the articles to import, and then edit and check them just after it, so we dont put too much content that may not be worked in reasonable time to fit in Vikidia. With some practice, we may have some ideas on how to do that in the best way, be it still slowly and safely, or with some automatics applications to select larger numbers of articles.
It is much faster than writing an article from scratch, still it takes some time, it really doesn't looks like a bot's work when you select, import and edit 'wikification, categories, interwikis... We certainly won't have 3000 good and significant articles in just a few days or weeks, but it may be possible to get the best of the work already done in a few month month if we work on it! :-) Astirmays (talk) 22:27, 2 January 2014 (CET)
- Both under IP and pseudo, I've done thousands of edits on the French vikidia and it's easy to check at the bottom http://fr.vikidia.org/w/index.php?title=Sp%C3%A9cial:Contributions/188.8.131.52&limit=500&target=184.108.40.206 of this list my first ever edit was to focus on SEWP ; since then, a majority among the creations there are providing at least one link to Simple and I fully agree with the fact that it's much faster than writing an article from scratch.
- My personal method could obviously be improved: we were two people working during the first ever week-end on that vikikia: my grandson (recently an adult) and myself.
- The first step was read aloud few lines of quite common words on SEWP and my eleven years old grandson was rephrasing them in French... the third step, just before publishing, was to add red links and, among the most frequent red links, the processus was restarted all over again to create new entries and so on. 220.127.116.11 10:37, 14 April 2014 (CEST)
Special:Import and as this functionalities is only available to the admins for now, I suggest to create a user group that would have the right to import articles. As Vivi-1 suggested, it can be coupled with the patroler group.
Does it looks good ? Who want to be able to import articles ?
I have to say we can use this tool after that an article already was copy/paste from SEWP, it would just put the old records of the article in the history. That mean that you can copy and edit an article form SEWP, and then ask it to be imported. Astirmays (talk) 22:27, 2 January 2014 (CET)
- Articles imported by SEWP must be worked again before being published on en.vikidia. I was able to notice it on Nile and on Constantine the Great. On Christopher Colombus it was necessary to give up because the article SEWP was very directed.
- Can we import articles of fr.vikidia, after having translated them? We have an enormous spring there where it is easy to draw.
- Is it allowed had to put as source of the article to be imported of SWEP or fr. vikidia or of WP by supplying the number of the reference version? (See what I made on Nile, or Fief)
- To write here I use the translator Reverso, the translation of which I retouch. It is possible that the construction of the sentences is incorrect.--Alexandrin (talk) 10:54, 3 January 2014 (CET)
- Sure, we will get to know more which part is good enought to be imported with minor work;
- Sure we should translate articles from fr.vikidia. However, see #4!
- well, it would need a detailed response, do we really need to give the authors if no full sentence were kept in the adaptation, or else may we need to be more precise ? (with the link to the history of the article and write that it gives the first authors...)
- On automatic translation, I think the we should not (or with very much care) use it to copy/paste in the articles. You may read : wp:fr:wp:Traduction automatique (in french) which explain how, beside quality issues, it can easily brings some misinterpretation (contresens) even when you think you have fixed it. Still I've seen something about the wp:Computer-assisted translation (fr:wp:Traduction assistée par ordinateur), which is different. It may be the good way to do, but it needs some time to learn how to use it I guess... Astirmays (talk) 16:30, 3 January 2014 (CET)
- When certain of the contributors, not administrators, will have rights to import since simple or Wikibooks or Wikijunior, I would return to en.vikidia (the point 4 above advising against the use of a translator).--Alexandrin (talk) 20:00, 3 January 2014 (CET)
- So let's add the Import right to the patroller user group (user group rights can be seen on Special:ListGroupRights). We would give access to this user group after a request on Vikidia:Talk and after one day or two to check if there is no significant opposition. Any objection or another suggestion ? Astirmays (talk) 23:02, 3 January 2014 (CET)
- I do import the templates, and we can directly use the images that are on Commons, so there is no worry on it. Yet while importing article, it appeared to me that we should take this task with care : I mean choosing the articles to import, check and rewrite (sometimes delete) some part of it. Sometimes event merging information from several sources (Wikijunior, SEWP and/or fr.vikidia.org).
- With those precautions, I think it is a good way to get good content for this wiki : it will take time anyway to grow our number of reader and editor, that may save some time. And the reader (on the fr.vd guest-book at least) ask for significant content (and many articles). Astirmays (talk) 20:21, 16 September 2014 (CEST)
Database error[edit source]
I have had some difficulties to import puberty. It couldnt be done in one time so I submited it several times to Special:Import (I have done for others articles before and it worked well). It ended with :
Import failed: A database error has occurred. Did you forget to run maintenance/update.php after upgrading? See: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading#Run_the_update_script Query: UPDATE `wk_page` SET page_latest = '84598',page_touched = '20160508095516',page_is_new = '0',page_is_redirect = '0',page_len = '36132',page_content_model = 'wikitext' WHERE page_id = '7017' AND page_latest = '84592' Function: WikiPage::updateRevisionOn Error: 1205 Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (localhost:3306) and now I can't edit nor move this article. I get the message
A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. How can it be fixed ? Astirmays (talk) 13:54, 8 May 2016 (CEST)
- Hi Astirmays, thank you for this detailed report. It seems that you have stepped on a known problem in MediaWiki, namely massive data movements. The database used by en.vikidia.org is now in an inconsistent state, which means that no-one will likely be able to do anything with this article until we figure out how to get back to a consistent state. Unfortunately we can't just blindly remove the article from the database to solve this issue, since other stuff (logs, for instance) could refer to it. We'll come back when we have a solution. ~thilp? 15:14, 8 May 2016 (CEST)