Vikidia currently has 3,142 articles. Improve it!
Join Vikidia: create your account now and improve it!
Vikidia Talk:Image of the week/2017
An hour with French high school students[edit source]
A teacher in Cestas-33 would like to introduce a way of contributing to Vikidia for her students (their last year in a French college) through Image of the week.
- This term, you've been working on several techniques to describe pictures. Today, we'll explore two cyberplaces where pictures can be described in English. D'you know about Vikidia and Wikimedia Commons?
- The first one is Vikidia: Which public is it aimed at? How d'you find out? -> kid ≠ teenager
- The other one will be Wikimedia: What does media refer to? news? more? -> photos, videos, audio files...
- What does wiki mean? In which language?
- Commons: the author agrees to offer his work to all net surfers, provided a certain number of rules are respected.
1) Vikidia.org → 8 languages → choose English : https://en.vikidia.org/wiki/Main_Page. What does Main Page replace?
- What is there on this main page?
- Star article,
- Image of the week: A photo of an Italian port (school trip), Genoa: https://en.vikidia.org/wiki/File:20170213-P1060547.jpg
- See more! which colour? Last / This / Next week: no image;
- Can you guess which image was chosen by your teacher?
- What does it represent? Graduation day in an English-speaking country.
- How d'we know the girl is happy with her results? For which week will it be chosen?
- The images are defined on sub-pages, per year: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 : click-right on 2017 → New tab: How many weeks? How many in grey? In red? In yellow? → red = to be done.
2) Where can free images be found? Commons.
- New tab: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accueil ; https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Content: Which differences with Vikidia main page?
- By topic: nature, society, science, engineering.
- Search: type Cestas for example
- Sub categories + a number + F between brackets. -> Category for folder; F for File.
- Files: watch and choose one or two.
- for example Cestas / Monsalut: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Monsalut-P1070963.jpg
- and write a short description in English: A fisherman near one of Cestas lakes.
- or Cestas blason ; the name of the file will be needed to copy the image to another place.
3) -> back to Vikidia 2017 : https://en.vikidia.org/wiki/Vikidia:Image_of_the_week/2017
- Choose a week with no image, for example : Week 13. There is no image for that week yet.
- Edit source Instead of being a simple visitor or reader, one becomes an actor, a writer.
- → go to the week number 12 - Enter
- new line, it's empty
- copy+paste preceding line
- What's to be erased and replaced?
- change number (of the week)
- change name of the file (go and copy): Monsalut-P1070963.jpg or Blason ville fr Cestas (Gironde).svg
- change description: A fisherman near one of Cestas lakes, or Blason of Cestas.
- |27=[[File:Monsalut-P1070963.jpg|thumb|upright 1.3|center|alt=|A fisherman near one of Cestas lakes, south of Bordeaux.]]
- |13=[[File:Blason ville fr Cestas (Gironde).svg|thumb|upright 1.3|center|alt=|Blason of Cestas.]]
- What's new?
4) Description and caption:
- boar, beehive, pilgrim.
- Home work.
- Thanks for this <poem> I've just created the Image of the week page for 2018, just in case someone would think of an image to be displayed specifically in the week of a certain event in the coming year. Klipe (talk) 13:21, 13 March 2017 (CET)
- Glad you enjoyed my poem... Well, it worked with the teacher I met, who did create an Image of the week. We'll see whether the kids like it or not next thursday. Als33120 (talk) 15:53, 13 March 2017 (CET)