Vikidia currently has 3,457 articles. Improve it!
Join Vikidia: create your account now and improve it!
The Taj Mahal is a white marble tomb (mausoleum) in India. It was built between 1632 and 1653 by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal.
Construction[edit | edit source]
Shah Jahan was entombed in the Taj Mahal with his wife.
The Taj Mahal was constructed with materials from all over the world, and over 20,000 people were used to move building materials. It is generally thought that Ustad Ahmad Lahauri was in charge of the construction. The construction was finished in 1653.
Threats[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "THE OFFICIAL NEW7WONDERS OF THE WORLD". new7wonders.com. http://www.new7wonders.com/en/the_whole_world_of_new7wonders/the_official_new_7_wonders_of_the_world/. Retrieved April 29, 2010.
- "Taj Mahal". World Heritage Site Convention. http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/252. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- UNESCO advisory body evaluation.
- Ganguly, Meenaksy (September 10, 2001). "At The Taj Mahal, Grime Amid Grandeur - TIME". time.com. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1000714-2,00.html. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "News - Environment: India's famed Taj Mahal is losing its lustre". iol.co.za. http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&click_id=143&art_id=qw1118919601546B225. Retrieved April 29, 2010.