Vikidia currently has 3,114 articles. Improve it!
Join Vikidia: create your account now and improve it!
Republican Party (United States)
The Republican Party, also called the GOP (Grand Old Party), is one of the two major political parties in the United States. The other one is the Democratic Party. They are generally associated with being right wing and conservative. The current chairperson is Reince Priebus, a politician from Wisconsin.
In the whole American history there were 19 Republican presidents. The last president of this party was George W. Bush. Today's president-elect, Donald Trump, is a member of the Republican Party too. Someone who's a member of the Republican Party or votes for this party, is called a Republican.
The Republican Party usually represents more traditionalist and conservative values. They believe in a small government and lower taxes. According to the Republicans guns has to stay legal and drugs, abortion and gay marriage have to become illegal.
Republican presidents[edit | edit source]
- Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865)
- Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877)
- Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881)
- James A. Garfield (1881-1881)
- Chester A. Arthur (1881-1885)
- Benjamin Harrison (1889-1893)
- William McKinley (1897-1901)
- Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909)
- William H. Taft (1909-1913)
- Warren G. Harding (1921-1923)
- Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929)
- Herbert Hoover (1929-1933)
- Dwight D, Eisenhower (1953-1961)
- Richard Nixon (1969-1974)
- Gerald Ford (1974-1977)
- Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
- George H. W. Bush (1989-1993)
- George W. Bush (2001-2009)
- Donald Trump (president-elect; 2017-)
Other websites[edit | edit source]
|Society Portal — All articles about society, culture, and languages !|
|History Portal — All articles about history.|